Can I get three cheers for chocolate coconut squares? These healthy treats are bursting with nutrients and goodness. A delicious dessert that is Paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free and dairy free. These gems are free of many things, but do not think that taste is sacrificed in any way shape or form!
Ultimate Chocolate Coconut Squares
It had been a while. I haven’t really baked any legit treats in almost a month. That was back around Valentine’s Day when I shared my recipe for Gluten-Free Red Velvet Brownies. Sure I shared a few recipes since that one. I even made Scott some muffins. Honestly though I had a treat on my mind, and decided it was simply time to put on my baking pants! Is there such a thing? I’m not really sure, but leggings are really suitable for any activity that pops up. Leggings and baking inspiration? A surefire winning combination. A combination like chocolate coconut squares.
Clean Eating Treats
I truly believe that balance is necessary as part of a healthy lifestyle. You should never think that deprivation is the key to getting the shape you desire. My goal through this blog is to provide helpful information about the food you eat so you can make an informed decision. Back in the day I thought I was a super healthy eater because I chose things like cereal bars and corn chips. Crazy, but true.
However, as I have come to eat a cleaner diet I still like to have some sweet stuff that is part of my life. Now I prefer treats that are made of quality ingredients. I’l crave a particular type of sweet like chocolate or texture like coconut. These chocolate chocolate squares were designed as a dessert we can enjoy. However, they keep our health top of mind. How so? Nutrient-dense ingredient selections and heck – even a few superfoods like coconut and chocolate to boot!
Health Benefits of Coconut
- Boost immunity
- Treat Illness
- Source of fiber, vitamins, mineral & amino acids
Antioxidants in Chocolate
- May improve blood flow and lower blood pressure
- Raises HDL/Protects LDL (Cholesterol)
- May lower the risk of cardiovascular
- May protect against the sun
- May improve brain function
I’m not sure about you, but I’m all over improving my brain option. Good stuff, right? Now onto the recipe for chocolate coconut squares!
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Pasture Raised Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Almond Meal/Flour
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pink of Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 and ½ Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (Save ½ Cup for Topping)
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep an 8x8" baking pan with coconut oil spray.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla extract, eggs and egg whites to a food process. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, coconut sugar, cocoa, flours, baking soda, salt and 1 cup of the coconut flakes to the food process. Again pulse until smooth.
- Mix in the dark chocolate chips and add to the greased pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then cut up into squares.
How About You?
- Yay or nay to coconut-flavor?
- What was the best treat you had recently?