You know what this cold weather has had me craving? Soup. It is the ultimate comfort food in my book, and I am a huge fan. I will eat it any time of year, however, I always crave it when the weather takes a bit of a dip in temperature. For some reason, I do not make my own soup often enough so I decided to remedy that yesterday.
Chicken Soup with Quinoa
This recipe features a host of healthy ingredients including root vegetables, onion, quinoa and various spices.
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1-2 Pounds Ground Chicken
- 2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 5 Cups Root Vegetables
- ½ Cup Red Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- ½ Tablespoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Tumeric
- Pinch of Salt
- Pink of Ground Pepper
- Coconut Oil (for cooking
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over the stove.
- Once the oil is melted add the ground chicken.
- Use a spatula to break up the ground chicken so that it cooks evenly.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add the chicken stock to the pot.
- Keep the pot simmering over medium heat and chop all of your vegetables.
- Add all of your vegetables.
- Cover the pot and allow it to simmer over medium to low heat for an hour.
- In the mean time, cook the quinoa separately so that you can add it to the soup once it is done.
So many vegetables! I purchased a large bag of root vegetables at the farmers market, but you could also buy a mix of vegetables at your local food store.
A tip on preparing quinoa! I like to use my rice cooker. A little tip – when you are food shopping look for a no-rinse quinoa since it will help you save time in your preparation efforts.
There is nothing like a hearty soup this time of year! The Chicken Soup with Quinoa recipe also yields a large amount so you will have the benefit of some leftovers. Like Chicken Soup for the Soul, I often feel that soup warms my own soul up a bit.
Question of the Day: What is your #1 choice when it comes to choosing a soup flavor?
Did you know I do Health Coaching? Please feel free to check out my page to learn more.
Find me in these places!
E-mail — firstname.lastname@example.org
Twitter — BikiniExp
Facebook — The Bikini Experiment
Pinterest — The Bikini Experiment
Instagram — The Bikini Experiment
YouTube — The Bikini Experiment